Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The American Media

American media is completely messed up! I do not like to watch too much of the news on CNN and especially not Fox News! At the end of the day I realized that most of the media is run as a business, and media outlets do not care about the truth of certain issues. All they want is to have high ratings from the American public turning their televisions on and watching their programs. That thought occurs to me as I watch the news. Most of the time I wonder about how they have managed to get a chance at reporting on different stories, and I always wonder about how much of what they are saying is true. This does not leave everyday people out of the equation to inform themselves about what is true on the news. Now, just because people watch the news that does not make them stupid, but they may still be ignorant of the story and what the story is all about. So much of what is reported is only negative and degrading, especially when it comes to African Americans. That is why I study the facts about the subject that is being covered on the news or written in newspapers. So many journalists and newscasters get away with reporting false information on a variety of subjects just so that they can get their paycheck. It is funny to me how political cartoonists are the ones who seem to give the most truth in their publications. Maybe they can get away with that because most people ignore the cartoons. In addition to the lies that are printed and reported in the media, a negative story on African Americans being broad casted daily. I feel that the only way to change that is for African Americans to have their own media outlets that showcase the whole story of what is going on in our community. BET does not count in my view because that station is owned by Viacom. Since the probability of a black-owned media conglomerate coming into existence is slim, the only thing that a person can do is inform themselves about the issues at hand to understand what really goes on in the world. Personally, I hate the corruption of the media in America, and that is why I love the movie V for Vendetta. It directly addresses this issue of the news media as it relates to any place in the world. Maybe V has invaded my mind when it comes to Fox News, but I will always "remember the 5th day of November"!

No comments: