Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I Love Video Games!

Video games are one of the greatest forms of entertainment that I have come into contact with since my childhood. I can even enjoy video games as an adult. Since I was a child, I could remember how I would love to play video games for many hours at a time. They used to help me relieve stress by allowing me to go into a virtual world that expanded my imagination. As I got older I enjoyed playing games that were violent, but I knew that violence as a casual activity was wrong. For some reason I had an understanding of what was real and what was fantasy. Yet there are those who have obviously not been taught the difference between the two and that causes many terrible things to happen. This is the response that you get from certain individuals who try and make a claim saying that children are influenced by violent video games to kill and hurt others. I even saw a report myself on 60 Minutes a few years ago where parents tried to blame violence on the Grand Theft Auto video game series by saying that a certain individual who killed people was inspired by the types of crimes that are committed in the game. To me a company that makes video games is not responsible for killings that occur. To me that is not a legitimate excuse for violence. For one thing, video games have ratings, and children under 17 are not supposed to play with games that are rated M for Mature. If children who are under 17 play those kind of games then the parents need to be aware of what their children are playing. I myself played with video games that had graphic horror violence and blood and gore before I was 17. My parents knew that I played with these games, and to this day I have never gotten into a physical altercation that escalated to violent actions being committed. If there is anything negative about video games is that they are addictive and can cause a child to lose focus on what they must do for school. I do not think that video games lead to obesity. If a child who is obese plays with video games they need to have a time to go outside and play for exercise. Regardless of what people with children have to deal with because of video games, I will always love to play a good video game just to have some fun and relax from a tiring day!

No comments: